Contradictions among the People

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 4 19:09:27 MDT 1995

    I have no objection to including the Chinese CP (or the CPSU)  in our
history, and doing so without embarassment. I find moral attacks on either
Stalin or Mao obscurantist, shifting our attention from both the present and
those aspects of the past which we need to understand. The point is not to
condemn Stalin but to understand what happened.
    We can learn no mechanical "lessons" from either the USSR or the PRC,
because the conditions are so different. But we can continually critique the
present.
        Carrol Cox
        ISU