ontology and political commitment (+)

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Wed Jul 5 08:22:05 MDT 1995

Just a quick comment about Locke... I know how much all of us have heard
about his "atomism," and "pre-social" individual, but I think his works
will show much greater sensitivity to the belief that individuals are
INESCAPABLY social; there is a tremendous regard for the many communal
associations of individuals--family, neighborhood, guild, and
church--that mediate human existence and provide a setting for sociality
and community.  Unlike some of his atomistic successors, and like many of
his contemporaries in the Scottish Enlightenment, Locke is much more
complex than many would give him credit for.
					- Chris