The Geography of Class Struggle

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 18:09:59 MDT 1995

In my original message, I stated:
It will be impossible to discuss the _historical_ changes and
evolution in the nature of class struggle is we insist that the world has
stood still, that a model of the primacy of the industrial working class
developed a century ago is still the only way to see the world...

To which Scott replies...
In other words if we don't accept your model then you'll what...
Where is the majority of profit and wealth created now if not in the basic
manufactoring industry? What is the *main* source of surplus value? Is there
some other source of homes, factories, cars, electronics, computers, food
preperation, energy, transportation, tools, clothing, shoes, bridges,
highways, aircraft, furniture, paper, video and audio tape, fishing rods &
boats, books, beer, microfilm readers etc etc etc. Or are these things now
immortal and not consumed in their use. As far as I can tell these things are
still produced by workers.

So now surplux value is a mantra through which we ward off intellectually all
historical development? Does capital become mobile in ways one couldn't
anticipate twenty years ago, much less a century ago? Does the resultant
internationalization of capital begin the slow but sure decimation of the
industrial working class in the advanced economies? Does the entire process
lead to the decline of the industrial unions? (Isn't part of what is being
played out in the AFL-CIO today is the rise of public sector unions to the
position of prominence once reserved for the industrial unions?) Aren't the
lives of great numbers of industrial workers destroyed, as decent paying,
unionized jobs disappear abroad, and minimum wage service sector  jobs are
all that is left? Haven't entire communities, based on these jobs, been left
ghost towns? No to worry: the concept of surplus value tells us nothing has
changed.

Has does it feel to be the DeLeonists of the upcoming age, frozen in the
past?