Marxism and art

Seamus Malone redye at amanda.dorsai.org
Sun Jul 9 18:38:55 MDT 1995

On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Jon Beasley-Murray wrote:

> Oh, and Seamus: how can you pronounce so clearly on the "best" (whatever
> on earth that means?!) art works of the 80s!?  If nothing else, and a
> little more democratically, you should allow for a ballot.  I'll vote for
> Rushdie's _Satanic Verses_ and Tarkovsky's _The Sacrifice_.  That'll
> clear our minds of Lacanianism...

I guess I would say that my evaluatory system is based on how well a
given work is able to both signify the political problematic it address
(inevitably capital), and at the same time (recursively) address its
own position in that context- i.e. its own production (both social and
material, artisinal and distributional).... whatever that means.

 > Take care > > Jon
>
> Jon Beasley-Murray
> Literature Program
> Duke University