Hip: Chomsky (fwd)

Spoon Collective spoons at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Mon Jul 10 00:17:56 MDT 1995

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 22:08:46 -0800
From: jones/bhandari <djones at uclink.berkeley.edu>
To: marxism at jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Subject: Hop: Chomsky

A graduate student, I am teaching first-year composition  this summer.

I have assigned Noam Chomsky's Year 501: The Conquest Continues.
Some ten years ago, I  became radicalized reading his Towards a New Cold
War.  Since then, I have very slowly become more interested in Marx. Does
anyone have any thoughts about Chomsky's critical theory, its strengths and
limits, and its complex relationship to Marx's critique?  I would also be
very interested in any comments about the propaganda model which Chomsky
has developed with Edward Herman.

I have not been able to find any substantial critiques of Year 501 from the
right.

I hope that no one minds this digression from the many interesting
conversations now going on (and which I have been following).  At least
this message is a bit shorter than my usual fare.

Thanks,
Rakesh