TimW and democracy in Cuba

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 10 09:04:11 MDT 1995

I don't like regimes that jail poets and homosexuals, but I wonder how the
anti-Castro Marxists would conduct a revolution in a place like Cuba under
constant pressure from the U.S. And I don't much like secretive,
centralized organizations, either, but how would our RD's have done things
differently in Russia in 1917? In "What Is To Be Done," Lenin quite
explicitly drew a distinction betwen the SD party in Russia and that in
Germany; the latter could operate democratically because it operated in a
far more open society than that of the Czars. I see lots of critique -
Castro bad, CPSU bad - but precious little in the way of a positive
program.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood