government statistics and Depressions

Bernard J. Goitein bjg at bradley.bradley.edu
Tue Jul 11 13:54:07 MDT 1995

Thank you Doug for pointing out some truth about US government
statistics.  As for where to look when one is in the library- half the
time the data that I want are in the annual Statistical Abstract of the
United States. I also find very useful the US government's monthly
publications Monthly Labor Review, Employment and Earnings and
Survey of Current Business.

Re damning data: The New YOrk Times quoted a report last month based on US
government reports (from the US Federal Reserve? ) demonstrating
increasing concentration of wealth.  Specifically, as a result of the
80's, by 1989, US concentration of wealth had recovered to pre -Great
Depression proprtions, so that the top 1% of households owned just under 40%
of the nation's wealth.
Does Doug- or anyone else- know what federal reserve publication this was?

Bernie