Lenin & Accounting-Reply to L. Proyect

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 12 10:01:43 MDT 1995

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Howie Chodos wrote:

> I am neither an acoountant nor an economist, but I am suspicious of
> arguments which try to resolve complex social functions "administratively"
> or "technologically". This may be naive, but it does seem to me that there
> are important political questions related to matters of accounting, to which
> Jerry alluded in a previous post. What counts as a cost? Who pays for
> environmental restoration?

Louis Proyect:
Howie, these are exactly the right concerns. I am thinking through these
exact issues right now and probably will spend the next decade stubbornly
trying to come up with answers. I would like to achieve a green/red
synthesis that incorporates advanced technology rather than rejecting it.
My experience with computers in Nicaragua and working with volunteers doing
similar work in Tanzania, Zambia, Mozambique, Namibia and free South Africa
encourages me that such a solution is possible. Keep tuned to this
station for further announcements.