Lenin & Accounting-Reply to L. Proyect

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.NYU.EDU
Wed Jul 12 12:23:49 MDT 1995

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Louis N Proyect wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 1995, Rob Frantz wrote:
> > Lenin's denigration of the complexity of business methods and knowledge
> > and his assumption that valuation was the stuff "that any literate person
> > can do" is at the heart of why he and his followers never came close to
> > competing with Western capitalism economically and why it was doomed to
> > failure.
> Louis Proyect:
> I just can't figure out why libertarians bother with our irrelevant
> little Marxism list. If they were so confident in the robustness and
> permanence of capitalism, wouldn't they just leave us poor misguided
> souls alone?

Louis, I can only speak for myself, not for any other "libertarians."
Confidence in one's convictions does not--or should not--mean that one is
completely oblivious to other points of view.  I have learned more from
Marx and from Marxism methodologically than I have from MOST
libertarians.  I greatly value speaking to people with whom I do not
agree, because I sometimes am able to strengthen my own arguments, or
alternatively, I sometimes discover that I'm simply wrong.  I think that
the ghetto-ization of traditions is one of the most tragic consequences
of modern social science.  This list, and Marxism are not "irrelevant"
and I've never seen you as a bunch of "poor misguided souls"--rather,
I've had a great time learning and interacting with people who take ideas
seriously.