Lenin & Accounting-Autonomy versus heteronomy

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:24:13 MDT 1995

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, HANS DESPAIN wrote:

> It seems to me that that if we are philosophical committed to freedom and
> individual autonomy, this should be by defination against heteronomy.  I
> am using both autonomy and heteronomy in a Kantian sense, but further
> extend heteronomy to a Marxian sense.  For Kant heteronomous people where
> committed to the voice of authority, for Marx ideology, but a further
> Marxian extension can argue that heteronomous humans are those that do
> not understand the coercive forces within there lifes (e.g. employment,
> or Albert and Hahnel politics).  In this sense, we are all propably

Louis Proyect:
The ontological necessity of the thing-in-itself necessitates a rupture
from the dialectical relationship between technology and society; which,
by its very nature, is always in the form of transition from necessity to
freedom (see especially: Berdayev, Gurdjieff, Hukkalaka, Meshabob); on
the contrary, the modern age carries within it the angst of the whole
Enlightment project which as anybody who has viewed Kant through the
prism of postmodernism would know that our future lies before us.