Hilary Wainwright: dangerous revisionist

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu Jul 13 07:00:37 MDT 1995

On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Rob Frantz wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, Louis N Proyect wrote:
>
> > Louis Proyect:
> > I am not fair-minded. I am a truculent, biased, crude defender of
> > Marxism against all comers.
>
> Yes, yes, yes. You are truculent. You are biased. You are crude, very
> crude. These self-admitted qualities are the reason why you are a very
> poor defender of Marxism. It's also the reason why the absurdities you

Louis Proyect:

IRONY: 1. a method of humorous or sarcastic expression in which the
intended meaning of the words is used in the direct opposite of their
usual sense: as, the speaker was using *irony* when he said the stupid
plan was "very clever." 2. an instance of this. 3. a combination of
circumstances or a result that is the opposite of what might be expected
or considered appropriate: as, it was an *irony* of fate that the
fireboat burned and sank. 4. the feigning of ignorance in argument; more
frequently Socratic irony (after Socrates, who used this device in
Plato's Republic).

Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language, p.773