apparent self-sacrifice

P8475423 at vmsuser.acsu.unsw.EDU.AU P8475423 at vmsuser.acsu.unsw.EDU.AU
Mon Jul 17 17:47:52 MDT 1995

Sorry Lisa, but I can't resist throwing in the example I gave when
we discussed this issue face-to-face when I was in Salt Lake City.

Individual rationalist explanations come-a-cropper against such
phenomena as the "Divine Wind" (Kamikaze) and "Jihad" warriors, who
(a) volunteer for (b) death. They certainly are under no illusion
that the behaviour will pass _their_ genes on; they are doing it
for their culture--an emergent property, as Chris (and I!) might
say.

Cheers,
Steve