specious ideologies, feminism

Robert V. Scheetz ay581 at yfn.ysu.edu
Wed Jul 19 21:55:23 MDT 1995

Rogers: "Why are you equating Feminism with 'misandry'...?"

I think this is disingenuous.  The Movement sustains
itself on a mythology of liberation from an era of male
oppression/exploitation.  You've never heard the epithet
"male chauvinist pig"? never read Shulamith Firestone? seen
"The Color Purple"?

I am out of my depth at any rigorous sociology, as you
seem to require; but I don't think it exceptionable on
this list to offer the view that the marxian theorem of
base/superstructure, the relations of production determinative
of cultural weltanschuung, affords the most illuminating
framework for making sense of the contemporary phenomenon,
Feminism.

IMS two of the hottest issues of the 50's were "automation"
and "population explosion", as they are today. Post-pubescent
boomers were subjected to an incessant cultural message
on the gaucherie of breeding, and the smartness of "planning"
and "the pill".  Overnight the cultural iconography inverted:
Madonna & Child dived, and Mayilyn soared.  Opinion formers
did not lack the temeerity even to directly challenge the
formidable anathema of the Catholic sub culture...and so on
...till today's open advocacy of late term abortions...and the
dread drumbeat carping at Black breeding.  Unremittingly,
and with ever greater sternness, has come down from on
high: NO MORE BABIES!

This had consequences.  For one, a certain sub set of
females, I don't say the more aggressive or daring, hit
upon the strategy of euphemisation, named it Liberation
...and so on.

But now motherhood entails no livelihood, how eat?

And what to do with uterus & co.?

The notion is that all the mythology and polemic of contemporary
Feminism was generated reactively by the victims of a social
engineering project, lowering population growth, very dear to
the heart of liberal Big Burghers over the past 50 years, and
devised and implemented with a relish by their Intelligentsia.