specious ideologies, feminism

jwalker jwalker at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 20 06:39:33 MDT 1995

On Wed, 19 Jul 1995, Robert V. Scheetz wrote:

> Rogers: "Why are you equating Feminism with 'misandry'...?"
>
> I think this is disingenuous.  The Movement sustains
> itself on a mythology of liberation from an era of male
> oppression/exploitation.  You've never heard the epithet
> "male chauvinist pig"? never read Shulamith Firestone? seen
> "The Color Purple"?

> I am out of my depth at any rigorous sociology, as you

You also seem out of your depth at understanding simple bits of the
English language.  "Misandry" refers to the hatred of men.  You'd think
that's what feminism is only if you glean your conception of it from
reading Newsweek and The National Review.

If, perchance, you are interested in actually understanding the
connection between Marxism and feminism, there are some good Marxist
feminists out there.  The crackpot sociologizing that makes up the rest
of your post doesn't give me much hope in that connection, though.

Regards,

John D. Walker
jwalker at email.unc.edu