CLR JAMES & SELF-EXPANDING CAPITAL

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Sun Jul 23 22:57:30 MDT 1995

C.L.R. JAMES AND SELF-EXPANDING CAPITAL: BASIC REFERENCES

I will have to look up the notes I took on this debate, but for
now here are the references for anyone who wants to research and
comment (please!) on this topic:

Johnson, J.R. (C.L.R. James).  "Production for the Sake of
Production", _Workers Party Internal Bulletin_ (New York), April
1943, pp. 195-209.

Contains notable James quote: "We live our daily lives in the
upper reaches and derivative super structure (sic) of Marxism.  We
are not academicians and must perforce spend most of our time
there.  But the foundations and the lower floors are huge
unexplored buildings which we enter if at all in solitude and
leave in silence.  We need to throw them open, to ourselves and to
our public." (p. 208-9)

Carter, Joseph.  "Johnson's Mystification of Marxism, or a Case of
Unproductive Self-Expansion", _Workers Party Internal Bulletin_,
October 1943, 25 pp.