Class, Internet, and the Industrial

om at gambro.se om at gambro.se
Mon Jul 31 10:40:11 MDT 1995

On 29 July 1995 Scott Marshall wrote:

>Jerry:
>
>there are many sectors of the economy which
>>continue to use obsolete computer hardware and software.  A few
>>examples:
>
>You want scary examples - many of the largest air traffic control systems
>are on systems and software older than apple IIs.
>
>Scott

 I will give no in-depth technical explanation but do believe me when I say
that we, workers, capitalists and others, should all be very thankful that
businesses as safety-critical as air traffic control use no more high-tech
than is called for. The expression "well-proven" still means something,
right?

Wild horses couldn't put me on the same plane as an "MS Autopilot for
Windows".

Otto Medin