Voice displeasure to Congress at Exxon's expense

kevin john geiger geigerk at ucsu.colorado.edu
Mon Jul 31 22:34:44 MDT 1995

Hello all,

I know this isn't exactly a marxist thread but I thought it is important
and there could be considerable interest on this list.

Exxon Corporation has set up/paid for a 1-800 line to contact US
Senators.  It is under the auspice of a group that wants to refine the
environmental laws and the regulatory tendency of US environmental
policy.  The thing to remember is that EXXon is paying.  Anyway, a small
group in Boulder has been trying to get this number out to the other
side, if Exxon is providing we shall take.  They pay the bill but the
caller is simply connected to the office of a US Senator.

1)  Dail 1-800-444-1555
2)  They will give you a short recorded message.
3)  Follow instructions if you have a touch tone phone, public ones work
best and they have other advantages.  :>
4)  Enter a zip code...they ask for yours but it doesn't have to be...it can
be any in the US.
5)  Make a choice of the elected politician's office you want to be
connected to.
6)  When the staff person answers you are set to discuss the proposed
environmental reform regulations, OR ANY OTHER ISSUE YOU WANT!

Couple of tricks...we found they limit the number of calls to 3 from each
number.  Solution:  public phones are everywhere...enjoy Exxon's
corporate attempt to influence "grassroots democracy".

Kevin