MARXIST HUMOR: UNITY OF THEORY & PRACTICE

LMILLER at umassd.edu LMILLER at umassd.edu
Sun Jun 4 21:20:25 MDT 1995

Jokes which are offensive are indeed offensive.  Humor does play a role
in reproducing existing social relations.  Its an especially effective
way of putting an uppity....wback in his/her place.  But... to declare
by ukase that such jokes are NOT FUNNY by order of the correctness office
or whatever betrays a curious lack of subtlety.  I have been struck on several occassions by the troubling fact that offensive humor, even when it directly
offends me is recognizably funny, i.e. it engages whatever it is that elicits laughter.  If it wasn't funny it would be less problematic.  How can
something be funny and enfuriating at the same time... any of the
psychoananlytic types want to take that one on?
Larry