MARXIST HUMOR: UNITY OF THEORY & PRACTICE

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Mon Jun 5 09:08:37 MDT 1995

Santiago isn't funny, but he's thinking.  What, pleasure be
recognized by the Vanguard Party?  No use value here, comrades.

As a Deborinite menshevizing idealist, I'm far more interested in
the dykealicktickle materialist approach than the hysterectical
part.  I don't know what historicizing pleasure means (get the
Hook ready), but I do know that we love to laugh at disaster.
What makes one joke merely cute and another one riproaring?  Could
it be the profundity of the simultaneous absurdity and truth
encapsulated within it?

Remember all those jokes that followed the Challenger explosion in
1986?  Most of them centered around the star of that show, Christa
McAuliffe, the teacher who went along for the ride into Space.
Well, my fellow humorologists and I collected them all.  Without a
doubt, there is one joke that stands out above the rest.  It may
not Further the Struggle, but here it is:

Q: Why was Crista McAuliffe such a good teacher?

A: She only blew up once in front of the class.

After you are done laughing, please explain why this is so funny.
This is a pop quiz, so get out those keyboards and pixels and get
to it.