Morality and ethics: a provocative post

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Tue Jun 6 20:53:14 MDT 1995

>From the following it is evident that Jerry is an ethical relativist. Now
the question is, why? What's your reason for this position?

1. The fact that different acts or policies may be indicated in different
circumstances is no grounds for relativism--any moral positioon with a
hope of success will allow that, e.g., violence may be permissible in some
cases and not in others.

2. The mere fact that different groups differ on which ethical principles
are correct doesn't show they're both right from their own point of view.
Mere disagreement doesn't imply relativism.

3. Jerry is pretty strong on upholding what he takes to be the worker's
perspective. Why? What's so great about that perspective? Could it be that
he thinks it's the correct one? Or is it just the one he likes?

4. Will Jerry allow that exploitation, racism, oppression, etc. are OK for
the ruling class, at least from their point of view?

I don't want to be glib. I think there is a deep and hard problem about
relativism. We've been through my views on this from the angle of the
probability of historical progress, but I'm happy to go around again.
However, I think that relativism is a pretty unattractive position--not
just wrong, but unpalatable.

--Justin Schwartz