Mumia Abu-Jamal

jwalker jwalker at email.unc.edu
Wed Jun 7 15:16:36 MDT 1995

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Matt Davidson wrote:

> If I may offer up a slogan from my RCYB days: "It's Right to Rebel!"
>
> Violence by the people against the system and its enforcers is always
> "justified."  The only question is whether or not it's smart from a
> strategic standpoint.  I really don't see how we can separate any "moral"
> question from the political (and ultimately, military) issue here.

Not sure I take your meaning here -- first you say that anti-system
violence is justified, and then you say we can't separate any moral
question from the "political" (I take it you mean strategic) question.
But it sounds to me as if you _have_ separated off the moral question,
and answered it!

Frankly, I don't see how we can NOT separate, and address, the moral
questions pertinent to revolution.  Don't we need to know what political
and economic systems are just, and why, before we go about rebelling?
How would we know, otherwise, what to rebel against and what to
safeguard?

Don't we then need to know what means we may rightly employ
in the service of rebellion -- in what circumstances, and against whom?
(The answer may be "any means, any time, against anyone who opposes us".
But it's still an answer to a genuine question which we need to provide, and
justify.)

John D. Walker
Department of Philosophy
UNC-Chapel Hill