hatred of police

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Jun 8 23:26:41 MDT 1995

Justin:
-------
Tom Conduit's measured and sensible position on the police sounds just
right to me.

Chris B
-------

Me too.

I may be suspected in some quarters of enjoying complexity and almost
mystical psychologising. I would like to add that without the sort of
concrete and dialectical analysis shown by Tom here of the different
psychosocial positions of different police officers, by progressives
in different localities, there can be no revolutionary transformation
of society, peaceful or violent.

It is one-sided and undialectical to say only that the state is a
machine by which one class oppresses another. And it does not in practice
take us much further forward to say it must be smashed unless we are
at one of its rare and supremely fragile moments. It must be
*dismembered*; and that partly involves listening carefully to the
distinction people want between oppression and some sort of structure and
order to give shape to our lives.

It involves now, troubling to draw a distinction between contradictions
among the people, and contradictions with an enemy ultimately represented
by only a small percentage of the world's population.