violence and revolution

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Thu Jun 8 19:02:21 MDT 1995

On Fri, 9 Jun 1995, ANIELLO MARGIOTTA wrote:
> ( Nicaragua teach). I thing that every political experience grow up in the
> blood have no future.
------------------
Jerry:

Force and violence are a major part of human history which can be used
for progressive or revolutionary purposes.  Engels wrote a book on
this topic which was, I believe, published under the title THE ROLE OF
FORCE IN HISTORY.  In this country, the revolution against the
British, the Civil War and the abolition of slavery, and the trade
union movement all grew "up in the blood."  How have things changed now?
If revolutionary violence was justified (in the name of liberty and
self-defense) then, what has changed for us to say that it has "no future"?
 -------------------------
> P.P.PASOLINI, a italian marxist intellectual, killed in dark situation, said:
> "between a cop and a revolutionary student I am with the cop because he is a
> worker and a son of people while the revolutionary student is only a stupid
> romantic, I can change
> the mind of first but never the  mind of second"
--------------------->
Jerry:
What kind of a "marxist intellectual" would take the side of a cop
against a revolutionary student? !!!! A cop is
only a worker in the most formal sense of the
term.  "Stupid romantic" or serious revolutionary, I will stand besides
the students along the barricades.  Perhaps on those barricades, "the
mind of [the] first" (some cops) will change, but I am not counting on
that eventuality.

Is there anybody else out there who agrees with the sentiment of the
Pasolini quote?