The question of violence

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Fri Jun 9 06:41:09 MDT 1995

Allen:

Welcome aboard, mate!  You ask several relevant questions including:
  "... My
> question is: What is the long range goal of those who support violent
> revolution? Violence never changes anyones mind, it merely breeds
> extremists on the other side, In order to change society, society must
> see that there is a better way, they must want to be part of the whole,
> lead by example, if your example is a good one, and enough people see it,
> then they will change, for they will be changing by there own will, a
> much stronger force than fear or laws."

The "goal" is not revolution but social transformation.  The means to
that end ("the revolution") is dictated by the nature of class rule under
capitalism.  It is not the means that any of us would prefer as we are
not bloodthirsty beasts.

Violence, as such, does not lead to a change in class consciousness.
However, as groups and classes are engaged in struggle, their
consciousness frequently changes as a result of their experiences in
struggle.

The revolutionary process and the social transformation that follows
(rather than the insurrection itself) can lead to a change in social and
class consciousness.

Society must indeed see that there is a better way.  How do people see
that better way?  Primarily from the experience of how capitalism has
affected their lives.  Any attempt to bring about revolutionary change
without a corresponding change in consciousness is doomed to failure as no
revolutionary government can survive without the active support of the
masses.  Education is a key part of the process of social
transformation.  This education, however, can take many forms.

Force and laws are indeed the means with which class rule is frequently
enforced.  Workers will, of course, have to exercise their "will" to
bring about change in the face of that repression and must be prepared
to use the means necessary to overcome capitalist rule.

I welcome your participation and post.  My understanding of Marx and
Marxism is that no one individual has a monopoly on truth.  We can all
learn from each other.  One of the aspects of Marxism that makes it
intellectually challenging is that -- no matter how hong we have
studied  -- we continue to develop and learn.  So ... keep reading and
writing.

Jerry>