The question of violence

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Jun 14 14:43:18 MDT 1995

At the risk on confirming my credentials as a sentimental bourgeois
liberal, which on matters of free expression I am, I will stand by the
right of the Nazis and other scumballs to enjoy full and unrestricted
rights of expression, even if they are advocating their abrogation.
Hypocrisy doesn't mean you waive your rights, and you have them even if
you think you don't or even if you want to deny them to others. Of course
I also insist on the rights of anti-Nazi protestors to make our position
on Nazism quite clear.

If one wants left wing-credentials for these views, you can try Luxemburg:
"Freedomn is everywhere and always for the one who thinks differently"
(even loathsomely). Or the young Marx againbst the Prussian censorship laws.

But basically leftwingers should support a near-absolute right of free
expression:

1. because freedom is a central value which we seek to enhance, and
expression is a vital part of it;

and

2. because in bourgeeois society any restrictions will be used against us
by the state.

Obviously there are limits to free expression, since all rights are
presumptive. No Nazis has the right to yell "Lynch the nigger!" to a
howling mob about to set on a hapless Black victim. Holmes' "Cleara nd
present danger" rule is a good one. But it doesn't rule out, e.g., Nazis
marching in Skokie (which, by the way, they didn't do).

--Justinb Schwartz (card carrying ACLU member)