The question of violence

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Jun 14 18:58:34 MDT 1995

I can find the reference if you want. It's in her critique of Bolshevik
censorship and suppression of the opposition, tarnslated in English as
"The Russian Revolution." The Spartakists were mainly an opposition group
and never got a chance to rule--there was a Munich Commune, loosely
associated with them. But in circumstances like those of Nov. 1918 in
Germany, we're not in a context of peaceful exchange of ideas, and a good
deal of the speech running around is on the order of "Lynch the Reds!"
where that's not a Limbaugh hot-air bubble but an incitement to violence,
which is not protected. I do think that Rosa was absolutely serious about
free expression in any slightly more normal context. In any case the issue
is not whether she was but whether we should be.

ACLU-ly yours,
Justin Schwartz