False Consciousness

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Fri Jun 16 21:45:54 MDT 1995

Right, Raymond Williams is very good. Lukacs is very difficult. Mezaros
was his student.

Charles Mills has somje good papers on Marx and Engels on ideology,
criticizing McCarney, in Philosophical Forum, I think in 1993.

I have a piece on "The Paradox of Ideology," dealing with a somewhat
specialized question about ideology, in Canadian Hournal of Philosophy,
dec. 1993.

See also Jon Elster's "Belief, Bias, and  and Ideology," in Sour Grapes.

William Shaw has a nice piece on ideology in thed Neilsen and Patten
anthology, Analyzing Marx.

Of course there's also Gramsci, whose notion of hegemony is a central if
difficult developmenbt of the notion of ideology--see his Prison
Notebooks; for commentary, see Femia's Gramsci's Political Thought. Perry
Anderson has a long piece on G in an old New Left Review--No. 100, I
think, in 1977. He's more accessible and on this I think more important
than Lukacs, although L is theoretically wuite interesting. For commentary
on L, see Andrew Feenberg's Marx, Lukacs, and the Origins of Critical Theory.

A feminist writer who is good on this stuff is Sandra Lee Barkty, who has
written a book called, I think, Feminism and Domination.

Om a practical level, see Chomsky and Herman's Manufacturing Consent--gets
you into the nuts nd bolts of how ideology works in the media.

--Justin Schwartz