profit equalisation

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Jun 18 08:02:04 MDT 1995

Paul,

Thanks very much for coming back on the
tendency but not the certainty for profit to equalise.

Frankly I find this area difficult, partly because it *is*
difficult, partly because I have not read Vol III of
Capital in full, partly because, to use Tom's favourite
word, your discourse is rather different from mine.
You are clearly confident in handling economic
mathematics in a way I am uncertain. So some
explanatory expansion from you is always helpful.

I would like to pick up your reference to Farjoun
and Machover. Their book claims to demonstrate a ratio
of total profits to total wages of almost one.

The worrying thing about this is that the range is
extremely narrow across time and countries. Coming from
the life sciences, I would say such a result is
incredible, and points to an artefact.

However Machover, in a personal communication, said the
phenomenon was also noted by Kaleski (sp?) which is
significant for the Keynsian school.

What do you think is going on?

Regards,

Chris B.