False Consciousness & Discourse

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Sun Jun 18 21:21:48 MDT 1995

I did meet Zizek on one occasion, and was not greatly impressed with his
style, but I would not place great stock in these necessarily superfacial
impressions. In any case, his ideas have no necessary connection to what type
of chap he is.

As a matter of fact, ZIzek is a Slovenian, and ran a very successful campaign
for Slovenian parliament as a Marxist immediately following Slovenian
independence -- not an easy thing to do. I don't have any special fondness
for what I understand of his wriitings (I have not had the time or
inclination to spend the time necessary for a thorough reading), but I also
confess to a disliking for the academic gossip mill which, rather than
confronting ideas, condemns a person with innuendo and plain disinformation.
Monarchist indeed!