social / natural sciences

Lisa Rogers EQDOMAIN.EQWQ.LROGERS at EMAIL.STATE.UT.US
Mon Jun 19 12:42:33 MDT 1995

Absolutely fascinating.  Sometimes I feel like I come from a
different world.  As a evolutionary-ecological-biologist /
anthropologist studying human behavior, I had very little background
in "social sciences".

Now, through my other interests, I am here, and I don't claim to know
what to do with it all yet.  Where I live, I have broken down the
distinctions between "social/human" and "natural", and find that all
living things have a great deal in common.  This I find relevant to
understanding how and why living things (including humans) work the
way they do.

I've posted at some length about this before, so I'll not repeat now.

It is interesting to me that there can be many points of view which
are not necessarily contradictory or incompatible.  Simultaneously,
there is often an over-polarizing kind of discourse that occurs all
too often.

I think that sometimes people demonize "science", for instance,
beyond any reason that I know.  I think I know a lot about what is
wrong with science, but if anyone wants to add to the list, please
include actual discussion with a view to increasing understanding.

Some of us actually want to learn something, and we are learning, but
not from "more-marxist-than-thou" name-calling.

Lisa Rogers

PS  Thanks, Howie, for your thoughtful summary of the issues.
LR

>>> Howie Chodos <howie at magi.com>  6/18/95, 11:29pm >>>
There are a number of important points raised by Rahul Mahajan in two
of his recent posts. I, too, have some discomfort with the tone of
many of his remarks, but I think that they nonethelesss squarely pose
some key questions, notably, as Hans Ehrbar has pointed out, how we
understand the relationship between the natural and social sciences.
(snip, snip)