Introduction and solicitation

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Tue Jun 20 08:42:26 MDT 1995

When I was a professor I taught such courses many times. I found the
following useful:

John Roemer, ed. Analytical Marxism (Cambridge). A collection of standard
works of recent Ango-American research into Marxist theory.

Scott Arnold, Karl Marx'[s Radical Critique of Capitalist Society
(Oxford). A very good right wing critique of Marxism, sensitive,
sympathetic, careful--a fine foil for Marx. Can students find responses he
would make to Arnold?

Rodney Peffer, Marxism, Morality, and Social Justice (Princeton). Very
good and careful, especially on the moral issues.

Richard Schmitt, An Introduction to Marx and Engels (Westview). A good
short introduction with suggested readings.

If you like, post me your address and I'll send you a cvouple of syllabi.

--Justin Schwartz