Ralph

Rahul Mahajan rahul at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 21 00:04:02 MDT 1995

Paul Cockshott wrote:

>But a thing that is interesting about modern physics is
>that qustions about the nature and degree of
>determinism start to become experimental rather
>than philosophical.

Exactly what I was saying, Paul. And, furthermore, the question, when put
on the right epistemological level, remains unclear. The evolution of the
wavefunction involves two processes:

1. Time evolution according to the Schrodinger eq.
2. "Collapse" precipitated by a measurement.

Process 1 is completely deterministic, while process 2 is a bit fuzzy --
what constitutes a measurement? In fact, there's even room for (nonlocal)
hidden variable theories, although any such would be totally bizarre.