Contradictions on list

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Jun 23 07:43:03 MDT 1995

Jim wrote on Wed 21st in a thoughtful response to a post by
Ron Press.

	I'm kinda new here, and most of the personalities here haven't
yet acquired a personal relevance to me -- except for the "I am not a
marxist -- yet I am here" types...
<<<<<<

A superficial reading of your posts, Jim, could give the impression
that you are intolerant of non-marxists on this list.

While I think there is a role for intolerance, and recently posted
a stinging passage from Marx against professional economists who are
mere time servers for capitalism, can I ask you to think and explain
why you have a problem with people who say they are not marxist but
contribute to this list?

It seems to me that Marxists can achieve anything only by clarifying
constructive working relationships with non-Marxists, in any example of
activity you can think of, however trivial. And that the relevance of
marxism today will be strengthened by broadly sympathetic but penetrating
discussion.

What is the problem from your point of view?

Chris Burford, London.