The Hermeneutics of Closed and Open Minds (was "Leo Casey...")

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 28 10:10:07 MDT 1995

At 12:05 AM 6/28/95, Jim Jaszewski wrote:

>        It's hard for me not to see Brezhnev as EXACTLY that: a stalinist.
>Same in Rand's case. Not that I want to quibble, but if you insist that
>stalinism is only pre-Khrushchev, then what is post? Mightn't we call it
>NEO-stalinism (since you reasonably want to make the distinction and keep
>it clear)??

Were there mass imprisonments, mass purges, mass executions in the USSR in
the 1970s? Of course, Brezhnev's USSR was hardly a model of free expression
and democratic self-rule, but neither is Yeltsin's Russia. Is Yeltsin a
Stalinist?

Rand's temperament may have been authoritarian, but her antistatism makes
her anti-fascist by the very definition of fascism.

I feel like that line in A.R. Ammons' poem "Sphere," where he conjures up
Matthew Arnold jumping out of the bushes to remind us to preserve the
essential distinctions...

Doug

--

Doug Henwood