PATRICK MURRAY -- MARX'S THEORY OF SCIENT. KNOWLEDGE

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Tue Mar 7 02:19:25 MST 1995

Of all the Marxological literature I have been reviewing lately, I
am most taken with Patrick Murray's MARX'S THEORY OF SCIENTIFIC
KNOWLEDGE (Humanities Press, 1988).  Reviewing Marx's entire
corpus, from his 1837 letter to his father and his doctoral
dissertation all the way to Capital, Murray is making a very
sophisticated statement with respect to the Marx-Hegel
relationship.  Marx has from the beginning a particular notion of
and concern with proper science that makes him very critical of
Hegel even while adopting much of his logic.  I haven't reviewed
all of the relevant literature by a long-shot, but this book is
the most sophisticated and convincing I have seen to date.