El Salvador

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Mar 7 12:27:41 MST 1995

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995, Andy Daitsman wrote:

> I'd have to take issue with this interpretation of the anecdote.  The people
> I met in Usulutan weren't "Indians" in the sense we usually use the word,
> and I would in no way want to suggest that the Salvadoran revolution was
> fought by "indigenous" peoples to reclaim their "village-based ... mode of
> existence."

Louis Proyect:

Andy said in his previous post, "When I was in El Salvador in 1992 I
visited a "cooperative" farm, which in its heyday had been owned by a
member of the oligarchy and had been one of the most efficient
mechanized cotton plantations in the country....Now it's a big
subsistence farm, and its organizational structure is much more like an
Indian village than anything else."

Andy, I think I read into your passage above an interpretation clearly
that you didn't intend. When I saw the word "Indian", I leaped to the
conclusion that you were talking about phenomena such as the Zapatistas a
nd the Guatemalan guerilla movement which is based heavily on the Mayan
Indians.

Now that I've re-read your original post, I'm still not sure what
this has to do with going backward from capitalism to feudalism. The
farm you describe sounds like nothing more nor less than an
agriculture-based village trying to fend for itself in the midst of
capitalist agribusiness. Backwardness and poverty does not equal feudalism
the last time I checked.