Mouffe on Marxist Economics

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Mar 9 00:42:56 MST 1995

In June 1992 at a seminar in Edinburgh I had the opportunity to ask Chantal
Mouffe, if post-marxism implies some continuity, as Laclau has written it
should, in what should the continuity lie. I recall her saying quite clearly
that there has to be a rupture with Marxist politics, but that the Marxist
critique of capitalism should be valued and extended.

Unfortunately it seems to me that Mouffe and Laclau might say
this, but such economics is a very peripheral part of their conceptual
system.

Chris Burford, London.