this and that

Steven Wright sj at deakin.edu.au
Sat Mar 11 19:30:44 MST 1995

Hi Scott, welcome to our fun list.

> Many if
>not the majority of those who died in Spain, no matter what they later came
>to believe etc - went there with ideas popularized by Stalin and the CPSU -
>ditto the tremendous mobilizations of anti-fascists of all countries in WW2
>not to mention the Soviet people.

That's funny: I thought that 'many if not the majority of those who died in
Spain' were anarchists or anarcho-syndicalists, and that those inspired by
the ' ideas popularized by Stalin and the CPSU' played a central part in
the Spanish proletariat's defeat. Silly me.

'no matter what they later came to believe' - I don't know about you,
Scott, but the marxism I learnt as a young 'un suggests to me that people
don't believe much once they're dead     ;-)

Steve Wright