Benjamin and Remembering

jones/bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 12 23:06:20 MST 1995

Guy Yasko wrote:

>.  Looking at
>the US-Japan case, the suffering and death of Asians on the mainland falls out
>of equations like Pearl Harbor = Hiroshima (which is ridiculous enough in
>itself; one need not be an Imperial Fascist to question the equivalence
>between
>an attack on a military institution on territory that even US politicians
>considered to be illegally held and the total destruction of a city.  And in
>any
>case, how does one then explain the destruction of Nagasaki?).

I hope this doesn't mean that we can explain the destruction of Hiroshima
as compensation for Pearl Harbor.  It was absolutely frightening to read
the letters to the editor of both the Wall Street Journal and New York
Times last year as Gar Alperowitz's critique  of the military necessity of
the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was subject to distortion time
and time again.

In the last issue of Forbes columnist Thomas Sowell caricatures the
"leftist" critique of the US annihilation of the people of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki. I suppose he still believes WWII was something about democracy
and fascism.

 So much for that shibboleth.  It's not as if the US supremacy established
in no small part by the destruction of the Japanese people turned out to be
too different from the other projected  New World Order.  One only needs a
minimal acquanitance with the writings of Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky to
understand that.  All this makes me more interested in those forgotten
voices who said a plague to both of your houses during world war II.
Wasn't it Mr "Communism against Civilization" Alex Trotter who mentioned
some of these rebels?

By the way, did anyone see the article in Bulletin of Concerned Asian
Scholars about a decade ago about the Japanese chemical-biological warfare
apparatus which fell into the hands of the the world's greatest democracy
(and I don't mean India) after WWII?