BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS DETERMINATION

Ralph Dumain rdumain at igc.apc.org
Tue Mar 14 13:30:33 MST 1995

Excellent post, Mr. Mostern.

Let's also not forget E.P. Thompson, who questioned the
base-superstructure metaphor and virtually incorporated living
culture into the material base without reducing the world to
culture or to discourse.

What Williams and Thompson have in common, among other things, is
that they deal with living realities, and do not restrict
themselves to considerations of abstract schematisms as happens
too much in these discussions.  Bhaskar disguises his anemic
banalities under a ton of philosophical terminology, yet there is
nothing alive or concrete in it.  Marx himself was more alive than
this (try 18TH BRUMAIRE).

BTW, though I too have been been devoting much attention here to
very abstract considerations of dialectical logic, I would hasten
to add that more attention needs to be paid to Marx's _concrete_
working methods.  These formal considerations of dialectics may
help us to bring the covert logical structure of these problems
into relief, but by themselves can lead to a very sterile
understanding of Marx's intellectual practice.

I am reminded of this by an important book I just received in the
post today: MARX, METHOD, AND THE DIVISION OF LABOR by Rob
Beamish, which among other things actually gets deep into an area
virtually neglected: Marx's actual intellectual work process!
I'll be reporting on this book as I read it, but I'm quite excited
from the introduction.