Determination

Andy Daitsman adaitsma at mail.cc.trincoll.edu
Fri Mar 17 02:51:51 MST 1995

>Tom Condit, I'm surprised that you think I disagree with what you said;
>in fact it was precisely my point.  My claim is that race is determined
>not by consciousness, but by what Du Bois (who I rely on heavily) called
>"gross morphological features".  Consciousness is derived from social
>being; social being is skin color and features.  That was the line of
>argument.

Kenny, I'm sorry but I still don't understand.  Let's stay with the example
that Tom provided--Johnny Otis.  What are Otis's "gross morphological
features" that allow him to become a black man?

Let's go back to the Salvador example I threw out in another context.  After
the Matanza in 1932, Salvador's Indians (roughly 50% of the population at
the time) took off their Indian dress and stopped speaking Mayan languages.
By 1933, "Indians" made up less than 10% of the Salvadoran population.  What
happened to the other 40%?  Had their social being, that is their skin color
and features according to you, changed in less than one year?

Race is socially determined, and it doesn't exist anywhere else besides our
consciousness.  At least not the way I understand consciousness...

Andy