stalin/Marx

Kenny Mostern kennym at uclink2.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 19 20:32:40 MST 1995

Now I'm going to say something that I know few will agree with about
lining people up and shooting them.  Though I found Dumain's comment
"sectarian" (as I indicated in my previous post), and I think that is
problematic, certainly now, I can't say I'm offended by the comment in
the same way others seems to be.

There are people in the world I'd like to shoot.  Yes, I know all about
the God complex thing, but its true nonetheless.  Perhaps you really
wouldn't have pulled the trigger on George Bush four years ago, but I
swear I would have, given a reasonable opportunity.  There are probably many
fewer people
I'd like to shoot than there are for certain of my neighbors (from a
variety of race and class positions).  But I can't say I have the sort of
principled distaste for Dumain's statement that others do.  Never having
lived in a war zone, nor in a revolution, nor having had the experienced of
violence done to me at the level that certain other people have (I do not
know whether this includes Dumain), its simply not something I feel like
I can eliminate the possibility of.

Now, of course, I respect principled pacifism.  Often I wish I shared an
outlook on how the world is constructed that allowed me to have such
principles.  In the meantime, I do think that serious marxists, who
understand that capitalism kills and that capitalists will not go down
without being killed, must be able to say, there are circumstances under
which we would take that kind of responsibility.

And we will fuck up sometimes.  No doubt.

I won't be killing in my lifetime, as I understand the world.  I think one
needs to think through things very very carefully before we advocate any
such strategy.  I also think the rhetoric of killing, as in Dumain's
post, has consequences that need to be thought through carefully, in a
way that has not really been done here at all.

I think Stalin was a tyrant.

But no, unfortunately, I don't think there are any foolproof guarantees, any
"principles" for preventing tyranny.  The end of capitalism, should it
come, will be a bloody mess.  I hope (if I haven't died or been killed) to
be on more or less the right side.

Kenny Mostern
UC-Berkeley Ethnic Studies Graduate Group

Against:  racism, sexism, homophobia, capitalism, militarism
For:  the truth--and the funk!