LACLAU & MOUFFE

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon Mar 20 00:01:15 MST 1995

I find the sort of charge bruited here: Show us you're not OBJECTIVELY a
Stalinist apologiszt for mass murder!--tedious. In fact, Stalinist (in its
claim that people can be guilty of OBJECTIVE crimes committed by others
whom others associate with you, no matter how you disavow them). If I
thought that ideas were the primary cause of social phenomena, like
SZtalinist mass murder, and if I had ever heard a moderately persuasive
argument that Marx's commitmewnt to proletarian self-emancipation tended
(never mind inevitability) to produce things like that, I'd be inclined
top be more interested in this line of thought. But all we have here--mind
you, Andy does a bit better than some on this--is the suggestion that
certain elements in Marxusm were available for appropriation by
SZtalinists to justify their crimes. There's not even a hint of causality
here. Look, let Victor Serge have the last word.

As to the idea that "the germ of all Stalinism was in Bolshevism at its
beginning," Serge writes, "I have no objection to this. Only Bolshevism
[we might here write Marxism] also conmtained many other germs. To judge
the living lman by the dead germs which the autopsy reveals in his corpse,
and which he may have carried in him since his birth, is this very
sensible?" (Quoted in the preface to Serge's Memoirs of a Revolutionary)

Isn't it strange that our antiteleological and antideterminist friends who
insists on the unsuturedness (ugh!) of history go determinist and
teleological and sutured only to to Marxism to Stalinism?

Sure, we need an explanation of Stalinism. And of Nazism, and late
capitalism, and lots of other things too. The fact doesn't make me feel
guilty.

--Justin