Mayans

Steve.Keen at unsw.edu.au Steve.Keen at unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 29 14:39:41 MST 1995

>From the armchair anthropologist: thanks for the extra details, Alex.
The TV doco I mentioned last time didn't shy from portraying the
Mayans as class-riven, but their focus did tend to be on the upper
strata, rather than the relation between kings and peasants.

However, their dates for the final demise of the Mayan culture (in
terms of the cessation of agriculture) were I think between 1200
and 1300--much later than the "precipitate collapse" theories.
So they see a much more gradual collapse, hence the "economic
breakdown" case I suggested last time.

And now over to some real anthropologists out there--does anyone
who fits that cap have any info on recent investigations of the
Mayans?
Cheers,
Steve Keen