Ireland and Orange

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Tue Nov 14 19:36:03 MST 1995

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Louis N Proyect wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, KARL CARLILE wrote:
>
> > bourgeois and petit bourgeois movements:the struggle to undermine and disarm
> > the working class as an independently organized political force. This is the
> > ideological and political function of Orangeism in Ireland, The Democratic
> > Party in the United States and the SACP in South Africa.
> >
> Louis: You group Ian Paisley, William Clinton and the late Joe Slovo
> together politically. This takes my breath away. Are you an indepedent
> sectarian or did you learn this sort of nuttiness from some Maoist or
> Trotskyite cult leader in Ireland?

Comrade Proyect is absolutely correct here.  Whatever Slovo's mistakes he
was a revolutionary and suffered greatly for the cause.  Paisley is a
corrupt ultra right demagogue and Clinton is a weak piece of shit.  Having
said that
it is good to see someone raise the whole question of the Orange Order, one of the most successful
mechanisms developed for ensuring class collaboration and the survival of
a colonial settler state like N. Ireland.  But in forming judgements
about the role of the Protestant working class one has to take into
account the fact that they were and still are guaranteed greater access to
jobs and housing.

regards

gary