MIM off

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 15 06:18:04 MST 1995

Louis: The departure of MIM is a very interesting phenomenon which bears
further reflection. This list is just not a hospitable place for people who
refuse to have a modicum of respect for other people's opinions. MIM is
the equivalent of the sort of people I used to run into at antiwar
conferences in the late 1960's who would stand about the doorways. They
would hand out leaflets with a 24 point headline "DOWN WITH THE BETRAYAAL
OF THE VIETNAMESE REVOLUTION". Then, in 8 point text, they would have an
analysis that covered both sides of the leaflet which tried to explain
every sell-out that the fake-left had been guilty of since 1917. A very
small number of folks would take a leaflet, but most of us knew better.
The leafleters were usually affiliated with something called the
"Committee to Reconstruct the Fourth International (Revolutionary
Faction)" or "Communist Workers Brigade". These folks, of course, were
never found inside the plenary sessions. Our Marxism list is very much
like the plenary sessions of the old antiwar movement. Lots of bitter
debates, but a sense of comradeship. All that is lacking is common
action. That will come. Trust me.