Louis reads Althusser?!

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 15 09:38:08 MST 1995

I must be getting to be a push-over in my old-age.

Stu Schafer nearly got me to unsu*bscribe from the list. Yeah, I
know...I've been posting maybe 4 or 5 times a day again. But I'm going to
be on vacation in December and won't be posting for maybe 9 or 10 days.
So I'm drawing from my account in advance.

And now, David McInerney has me reading Althusser. This is what I see in
front of me:

"But if every contradiction appears in Marxist historical practice and
experience as an overdetermined contradiction; if this overdetermination
constitutes the specificity of Marxist contradiction; if the 'simplicity'
of the Hegelian dialectic is inseparable from Hegel's 'world outlook',
particularly the conception of history it reflects, we must ask what is
the content, the raison d'etre of the overdetermination of Marxist
contradiction, and how can the Marxist contradiction of society be
reflected in this overdetermination." (From "Reading Marx")

I haven't read prose like this since I was a graduate student in 1965.
For me to find the time to read this book means that I have to put
Stephen King's "Madder Rose" aside for a month or so. What a sacrifice.
This "Reading Marx" better have a happy ending or else you are going to
catch hell from me.