Bryan strikes back

Bryan A. Alexander bnalexan at umich.edu
Sun Nov 19 20:19:23 MST 1995

I wish Jim would weigh in on more issues beyond these few notes!

Bryan Alexander
Department of English
University of Michigan
**********************

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Jim Jaszewski wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Bryan A. Alexander wrote:
>
> >  I consider Lincoln's attack aggression, yes.
>
> 	The first assault of the war was by the _Rebels_, on Fort
> Sumter...  (I suppose that `semantically' it was a `pre-emptive defense'...:)

	Sure, a federal outpost within CSA territory.  Again, this could
have been worked out.  Diplomacy was clearly an option.  But yeah, it was
the first armed attack.  Limited.

> >> It is NATO which has perpetrated aggression against the Yugoslav
> >> people by intervening in the Yugoslav civil war.
> >
> > 	This is abominable, Lorenzo.  Indefensible.
>
> 	There is indeed a `semantic' difference here, but Lorenzo is right
> IMO in not being fooled by Imperialist propaganda re NATO `heros' coming
> to the aid of the Poor and Defenseless...

	Who is?  Instead he's being fooled by - or parallels - Serbian
propaganda, with heroic Srbs encircled by enemies while only trying to
protect federal order.  We can criticize NATO, as most of us (including
myself) on this list have done; but to lever NATO above, say, the HVO or
Arkan as Lorenzo does is vile.