one step forward, two steps back

David McInerney davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 20 22:52:42 MST 1995

Alex Trotter wrote:

>I've looked at the current issue of *Science and Society* and the most
>interesting article for me was the one about Lenin's notebooks on Hegel.
>Here was presented a Lenin beyond Lenin, one who seemed to break with the
>mechanical materialism of his own past (i.e.,*Materialism and
>Empirio-Criticism*) to reexamine the legacy of Hegel and German idealist
>philosophy, but who then shrank from the implications of his own work.

Interesting.

Althusser's analyses of both texts ('Lenin and Philosophy' and 'Lenin
Before Hegel') say exactly the opposite.  The product of a different
reading, perhaps?  But this 'Marxist and Hegelian dialectics' debate is an
old one, isn't it?

David.

Mr. David McInerney,
Political Science Program, Research School of Social Sciences,
The Australian National University, Canberra, A.C.T., AUSTRALIA  0200.
e-mail: davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au; ph: (06) 249 2134; fax: (06) 249 3051