Value: the 3 J's debate

Chris, London 100423.2040 at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 24 01:12:21 MST 1995

While I have not been able to follow all the details, I very much welcome
that John, Jim and Juan have been continuing to slog out the value
of the Marxist concept of the law of value.

My standpoint is that we need a non-reductionist, non-mechanistic
rediscovery of the relevance of the LOV  for commodity-based
exchange value, *within the wider global set of all socially valued human
relations*
(value in its widest sense).

As hopefully a reasonable intelligent non-economist I would like to
risk quadrangulating briefly in the debate.

I welcome John's willingness to concentrate on the issues,
and to ignore some of Juan's sharper remarks personally.
I also welcome as good practice his attempt to go Back to the
Beginning to redefine more accurately the problem over which the
argument is taking place. However I suspect there needs
to be more clarification of exactly what the problem is that
people are arguing over.

John starts his 9-point half-time summary as follows: